Notifications
Clear all

How do I make my simulation look more like water, as I get a lot of big blobs

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ttenor12)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, I am doing a very simple scene where I want to simulate some waves, the issue is that the water sometimes looks like giant blobs. Is my resolution still too low? The simulation resolution is 200, do I really need to increase this even more or is there something else that I might change?

(@fluidsadminryan)
Member Admin

Hello! Increasing the domain resolution will be needed to decrease the size of the individual particles/globules. The resolution value controls the voxel size on the simulation grid and the size of a voxel is roughly the smallest amount of detail that can be resolved in the simulation such as the smallest droplets and thinnest splashes. Related topic: What is the simulation grid?

Depending on the positioning of the camera, such as in close up shots, this can make the droplet size noticeable as the fluid approaches the camera. In close up shots, quite a high resolution may be required to reduce the droplet size to acceptable levels. To get an idea for how large the particles will be at a certain resolution, the Domain > FLIP Fluid Debug > Grid Visualization tool can be used to visualize the grid (attached screenshot).

Enabling the sheeting effects feature can help prevent particles from separating by filling in gaps between particles, but the thickness of the liquid will still be limited to the voxel size.

Hope this info helps!

ReplyQuote
(@ttenor12)
Topic starter  

@fluidsadminryan Thank you for your response, will increase the resolution and post the results.

ReplyQuote
Share: